Wednesday 11 May 2016

Jump jump jump!

Another day, another blog article. Just kidding - sorry it's taken so long for an update! I've been quite busy, party with work as we get a new bishop, but also I really have just been enjoying reading my book! So there is a couple of good-ish reasons. 

 

I wanted to update you on my Jumpmaster painting progress. This is my second, and as you can see its now painted! The beady eyed amongst you will notice that it's not the same as the first one 
(viewable on this vlog here) and in fact uses a whole new paint scheme. As before, I ummed and arrr'd about what colour to paint it. However, this time I decided to go the purple and bought about 4 different colours of purple paint before really deciding on a style!

I eventually went for something not to dissimilar to my first Jumpmaster, with some vertical patterns and lines that corresponded to where the rest of the ship meets the crescent. However, this time the base couloirs were different, with a bleached bone crescent and central column, whilst the other bits were a gun metal grey. Brought together through a bit of washing and drybrushing, they are subtly different tones without being to obvious.  

You should also be able to see from the above picture that I went for a reflection on the windscreen. First time I've tried that, and I'm really pleased with how it worked out!

 
I wanted to try something a bit more freaky for the freehand design, and ended up going with this. It took me a couple of decent sessions to get this nailed on. It's not a flat area, but it also goes up and down at different places. So trying to do justice to that whilst also making a believable pattern was hard work! However, I'm very pleased with the result :)

I also painted the engine glow again. This process was a lot smoother second time around as I've learnt at which angle to hold (and not hold) the brush so that you don't get paint where you don't want it!
 
I'm actually more pleased with the other side (below),  it's a much smoother transition of colours and shape. From this angle you can also see what I meant about the bone and grey contrast. 
 
Overall, I'm really pleased with how this guys turned out. It's not airbrush quality, but I don't have an airbrush! The next step is that I'm going to start magnetising the ships onto new bases. That'll be good fun. I've never done it before, but I have a friend who has and he's been kind enough to help me understand what I need to do it! It's hard to explain but basically they will be at dynamic moveable angles and look super cool. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking really nice. Can we get a pic of the two side by side or are you waiting until the inevitable third one is done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get a big reveal in a blog article later this week, I've been working on something else!

      Delete